- G+T ranked 'Outstanding' in the Asialaw Profiles 2019
- Work with leading Partners and Lawyers
- Broad role in Environment & Planning
Gilbert + Tobin is a Top Tier Corporate Law firm recognised in Chambers Global and Asia Pacific Legal 500 as an expert in its practice areas. We are at the forefront of legal innovation, have successful and expanding practices in all our specialist areas, and we enjoy a reputation for providing our clients with the highest quality service and expert legal advice. We have over 650 staff working in our Sydney, Melbourne and Perth offices.
Environment and Planning
Our Planning and Environment team has a proven track record advising on the development of complex projects in a wide variety of industry sectors across Australia. We specialise in advising on all aspects of environmental impact assessment and approvals strategy, planning and environment law advice and litigation, remediation and development of contaminated land, regulatory investigations and prosecutions, and corporate environmental due diligence. Our clients include corporations, investors, government, investment banks, financial service institutions and Australia’s leading national banks.
The practice has advised on:
- Norsk Hydro ASA (one of the world’s leading aluminium manufacturers) in relation to all planning and environmental related matters associated with the $150 million remediation, rezoning and redevelopment of its former Aluminium Smelter at Kurri Kurri, NSW.
- Cleanaway in relation to all planning and environmental risks associated with its $665 million acquisition of Tox Free Solutions.
- Beach Energy in relation to environmental risks associated with its $1.58 billion acquisition of Origin Energy’s conventional oil and gas business.
Broadly this role will give you exposure to matters relating to:
- Contaminated Land – Relating to legal, regulatory and reputational risk issues to implement a successful contaminated land strategy.
- Environmental Due Diligence – Practical advice to identify the real planning and environmental risks arising from transactions in all jurisdictions across Australia.
- Waste – Advising government and corporate clients on environmental liabilities associated with large scale acquisition and disposal of waste assets
- Renewable Energy – Strategic advice to renewable energy developers and investors in relation to all aspects of renewable projects (such as solar, wind and biomass) across Australia.
- Energy and Resources – Strategic advice to leading mining and energy companies on all aspects of the approval pathway, land access and operational compliance issues.
- Planning – Drafting submissions in response to strategic planning documents, advising on the adequacy of environmental impact assessment, negotiating conditions of planning approval and litigating to obtain planning approval.
- Environmental – Advising on all aspects of environmental approval pathways, adequacy of environmental assessment, director’s liability for environmental incidents, water rights, climate change law, strategic advice in relation to regulatory investigations and enforcement action for pollution incidents and defending pollution prosecutions.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- 5+ years PAE working in environment and planning law
- Strong drafting and advice writing skills.
- Superior analytical skills.
- Ability to work effectively with clients.
- The ability to work autonomously and in a team environment.
For further information about this role, please contact Scott Baker – People Team +61 2 9263 4398.
Gilbert + Tobin endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However when we do need to engage with agencies, Gilbert + Tobin operates within a preferred suppliers list. Unsolicited CV’s will be deemed the property of Gilbert + Tobin.
Category: Experienced Lawyer - Environment & Planning