- Work across a range of transactions - M&A, IPO's, JV's, Projects
- Become a pivotal member of this growing practice
- Strong income tax, and transactional experience – with controversy – an advantage
Gilbert + Tobin is a Top Tier Corporate Law firm recognised in Chambers Global and Asia Pacific Legal 500 as an expert in its practice areas. We are at the forefront of legal innovation, have successful and expanding practices in all our specialist areas, and we enjoy a reputation for providing our clients with the highest quality service and expert legal advice. We have over 650 staff working in our Sydney, Melbourne and Perth offices.
Tax @ G+T
Gilbert + Tobin’s Tax team works on some of Australia’s most significant transactions not only in its own right, but through a collaborative approach with specialists from all of our practice groups.
We advise clients principally on all aspects of a transaction, from due diligence and structuring through to negotiating and settling the tax issues in transaction documents. But apart from working on transactions involving household names, in just the last 12 months, we helped develop funky structures in unique transactions in significant industries, advised on constitutional law challenges to State laws, advised on complex executive and employee remuneration structures, defended clients in reviews and audits by the Tax Office, steered clients through the Tax Office’s overreach of FIRB powers, and contributed to policy development in venture capital, fintech and mining.
We are currently looking for one experienced direct tax specialist to join us in Sydney. As a pivotal member of the team, you will:
- Provide technical advice on Australian income tax issues across a range of industries across a range of transactions, including M&A activity, IPOs, joint ventures, financing and infrastructure projects.
- Investigate and provide advice on other tax issues (other than GST and stamp duty) as issues come up. These can include FBT, payroll tax, superannuation, PRRT and the like. Strong prior knowledge in these areas is not expected.
- Act as the trusted tax adviser to our clients and to our lawyers when pointy or novel issues arise.
- Be a strong advocate for tax in any transaction or matter.
- Play a significant role in the promotion of the team to our lawyers broadly, to our clients and to our prospects. You will seize opportunities to develop relationships.
- Support our junior team members in mentoring and training.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- 5+ years’ experience in Australian income tax, with a strong transactional focus.
- Strong drafting and advice writing skills.
- Superior analytical and verbal communication skills.
- Communication of technical advice in practical ways.
- Ability to work effectively with clients.
- Ability to develop relationships with clients and with colleagues.The ability to work autonomously and in a team environment. You must hold, or be entitled to hold, a legal practising certificate in an Australian jurisdiction.For more information, please contact Scott Baker, Resource Manager, on (02) 9263 4398 for a confidential discussion.
Gilbert + Tobin endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However when we do need to engage with agencies, Gilbert + Tobin operates within a preferred suppliers list. Only agencies who have been briefed on a vacancy will be asked to submit CVs. All CVs should be uploaded directly onto the system via the instructions provided by the HR contact. We are unable to accept candidate CVs via email.
Category: Experienced Lawyer - Taxation