- 2016 Australian Law Firm of the Year
- Work closely with, and learn from leading lawyers
- Top tier, top lawyers and now top floor @ Brookfield Place
Gilbert + Tobin is a Top Tier Corporate Law firm recognised in Chambers Global and Asia Pacific Legal 500 as an expert in its practice areas. We are at the forefront of legal innovation, have successful and expanding practices in all our specialist areas, and we enjoy a reputation for providing our clients with the highest quality service and expert legal advice. We have over 500 professionals working in our Sydney, Melbourne and Perth offices.
Energy & Resources @ G+T
Our energy and resources team advises on all aspects of energy and resources projects including finance, acquisitions and disposals, project development and delivery strategies, construction, procurement, regulation and operations. Clients include Pilbara Minerals, Syrah Resources, Todd Corporation, Gold Fields Australia, Iluka Resources, Independence Group, BC Iron and CNOOC NWS. Recent deals the team has worked on include advising:
- Gold Fields Australia in relation to the $350m acquisition of a 50% interest in the Gruyere gold project from Gold Road Resources Limited and related joint venture and royalty arrangements.
- Todd Corporation on the development of a +$3 billion greenfield iron ore mine, rail and port project in the central Pilbara region of Western Australia.
- Iluka Resources in relation to its mineral sands project and its engagement with the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
- CNOOC NWS on its participation in the North West Shelf LNG project in Western Australia
- Wesfarmers Limited on its US$100m acquisition of a 13.7% interest in Quadrant Energy Holdings Pty Ltd, a special purpose vehicle established by Macquarie and Brookfield to acquire Apache Corporation's oil and gas assets in Western Australia
- Alinta Energy in relation to tenure, land access and approval matters generally, and in respect of their power transmission infrastructure in the Pilbara, Western Australia, including for the Roy Hill Project.
- Yancoal Australia’s Independent Board Committee on its $3.27 billion acquisition (and related debt financing) of Coal & Allied Industries from Rio Tinto.
- Rio Tinto on the complex and novel US$ 329 million restructuring of its coal capacity and haulage arrangements at the Adani Abbot Point Terminal with Adani.
The team regularly advises publicly listed and private Australian and international companies involved in resource exploration, development, mine closure, remediation and mining. Commodities include base metals, coal, copper, diamonds, gold, iron ore, mineral sands, nickel, platinum, rare earths, uranium, pearls, and salt and timber. We also have extensive experience in coal bed methane, gas and other hydrocarbons. In particular, our expertise covers projects in emerging economies, particularly Africa.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- 6+ years experience focussing on Energy and Resources
- A desire - and the capacity - to work on technically challenging matters
- Outstanding drafting and advice writing skills
- Superior analytical skills
- The ability to work effectively with clients
- The ability to work autonomously and in a team environment
For more information, please contact Lisa Harold, HR Manager, on (08) 9413 8411 for a confidential discussion.
Gilbert + Tobin endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However when we do need to engage with agencies, Gilbert + Tobin operates within a preferred suppliers list. Only agencies who have been briefed on a vacancy will be asked to submit CVs. All CVs should be uploaded directly onto the system via the instructions provided by the HR contact. We are unable to accept candidate CVs via email.